Tuesday, July 20, 2010

On the eastside, that's where I met my Ramona

Inferno

 Summer came and school was out. I received a call one day. “I’m back and I want to see you!” 
It was Scott. My face felt numb. He sounded happy. He sounded like the old Scott. I agreed to drop by Steven’s house, where he was staying, to say hi. 

When I pulled up, there was a maroon car parked out front. David was standing at the passenger window. I got out and walked to the car. Inside the car was Scott and Steven. In the back was someone I didn’t know. Scott got out of the car and gave me a bear hug. He introduced the new guy as his friend Ninja, who drove with him to Texas to start a new life. Ninja gave me a nod, but didn’t say anything. 

The guys started talking and ignored me. I walked back to my car. Scott came to tell me that he would be at Steven’s for a day or two, and that I should come by tomorrow. I promised that I would. 

I arrived at Steven’s house the next day. Scott picked me up and threw me on the bed. Steven, Ninja, and Adrian were there, too. Scott kissed me and asked me to be his girlfriend again. 

Why do I always say yes?

I spent the rest of the summer hanging out with Scott and Ninja. They eventually met a couple who were looking for roommates. 
The four of them rented a small house. Scott and Ninja sold their plasma to pay for their share of the rent. The couple, Paul and Veronica, I later learned were running from the law. Paul was a white supremacist who was wanted for murder. He was covered in swastika tattoos. But around me, he was just a fun loving guy. It was strange. 

Scott invited our old friends to his new place. One of our mutual friends, Melissa, made several trips to the house. 

One night, as I pulled into the driveway, Paul met me outside. He told me to get Scott under control. Scott was raging. He found out that Ninja had secretly been dating Melissa. Apparently this was against the rules without checking with Scott first. He tried to fight Ninja. He tried to fight Paul. I drug him out of the house raving. That night, I lost all of my friends. 
He forced me to call all of them and “break up” with them all. I had to tell them to leave me alone and to never talk to me again. They must have known about Ninja and Melissa, and they kept it from him. He would make sure that I wouldn’t be poisoned by their deceit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment