Friday, June 4, 2010

The hurt inside is fading

Vita

My sophomore year was coming to a close and I was not looking forward to the long, lonely summer. The last day of school, I heard that Scott and his long time girlfriend had broken up. When I saw him in the hallways, he seemed happy. He even... did he just wink at me?!

I was floating. During our lunch period, he flirted with me. We spent the rest of the school day together. He took pictures of me with a disposable camera and told me I should be a model, that I was beautiful. Is this a dream? I can’t be beautiful. I am hollow. I am nothing. Scott, did you ever mean what you said? Did you hate me even then?

When school was over he walked me to my car. A rival high school had vandalized most of the cars in the parking lot with shoe polish and mine was one of them. Scott offered to come home with me and wash it. I couldn’t breathe. 

We never got around to washing the car. We stayed in my room and watched old cartoon movies, and talked. He told me that he really liked me and wanted me to be his girlfriend. He claimed that he was a gentleman and wanted to ask my mom for permission, since I was 16, and he 18. After my mom’s skeptical approval, he told me that there was one other thing that he needed to do. His ex, Justine, was out of town and they had plans to resume their relationship upon her return. He had to wait until she arrived to tell her that he couldn’t be with her, before he could be with me. I was so desperate for his acceptance, that I agreed to wait. 

In the mean time, we kissed. A lot. I spent all of my gas money driving across town to pick him up. He was living with our mutual friend Eric. He had been thrown out of his home, lost his job, and his car quite recently. The poor thing. I would take care of him. I would be his rock. His protector. His wings. 

And that’s just what I became. Eventually. 

No comments:

Post a Comment